search your family albums for photos to compile our history in pictures for a slide show; email firstname.lastname@example.org or hand-deliver your pictures to Jen Koch. Originals will be returned to you. Jen is making the slide show
help contact local media to share the news about our 100th anniversary
work with Peggy Willeke on making a commemoration book and DVD from the August 19th celebration
LONG STORY SHORT
The plains of Colorado are Missionary Territories 1887 Rev. William J. Howlett travels by train from Brighton to Akron once a month to serve Catholic families in their homes 1888-1890 Rev. James G. Hickey serves Catholic families in Akron and the surrounding area. 1890-1893 Rev. Faber and Rev. E. Downey are next to serve the faithful. Rev. Downey lived part-time in Wray & Ft. Morgan 1894-1897 Rev. J. H. Bricker cares for the spiritual needs of the Akron area Catholics. April 7, 1895 A small group of families officially form, "The Catholic Church in Akron" filing a Certificate of Incorporation with the Washington County Courthouse. 1897-1902 Rev. J. J. Reordon serves the mission in Akron. April 14, 1898 The church Board of Trustees purchases Louise and Jacob Faehndrich's store building located on Main Street where the Y-W Electric building now stands. Catholic families now have a place to meet and pray.
The Catholic population continues to be a Mission church under the guidance of several missionary priests 1902-1904 Rev. D. C. Robertson 1904-1911 Rev. B. A. Froegel 1911- Rev. Dribbel 1911-1918 Rev. J. L. Juily
September 28, 1907 For the first-time, Akron hosts a bishop when Bishop Nicholas C. Matz of Denver visits the parish. The Bishop confirms 30 people, 20 boys and girls receive First Holy Communion, and the church building is dedicated and receives the name Saint Joseph.
August 23, 1913 With future dreams of having a school, church, and rectory nearby, the parishioners purchase lots on the 3rd block of Bent Street. A new church is built with parishioners donating most of the labor and material. The raised funds needed for the project, and sold the old church building for $500 to John S. Arnold.
May 17, 1914 Bishop Matz visits Akron to dedicate the new church building
1916 Mr. Conrad Heer donates an acre of land east of town for use as a Catholic cemetery
August 17, 1918 Mrs. Anna M. Jost becomes the first person buried in St. Joseph's Catholic cemetery
February 7, 1918 Bishop J. Henry Tihen officially declares Saint Joseph as a parish February 21, 1918 The Bishop names Fr. Louis Grohman, ordained in 1911, as the first pastor of the parish March 18, 1918 Parish purchases house from Mrs. Corda beach to be used as a rectory Easter Sunday, 1919 Ground is broken for Saint Joseph's Boarding and Day School. Through the combined efforts and sacrifices of both Catholics and non-Catholics, the school was officially dedicated by Bishop Tihen on September 7, 1919. September 8, 1919 School formally opens. Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary took care of running the school. On the first day, there were 24 boarding students, 65 day students, and 30 music pupils. Saint Joseph's school operated until 1929 when the Depression brought difficult times making it impossible to keep the school open.